The Star City Gran Fondo is presented by Business Solutions and organized by Rotary Club of the Blue Ridge - New Generations.
Proceeds from the event will benefit non-profit organizations that serve the youth of the Roanoke Valley.
The finish of the 2017 event is in the same exact place as the start. The climb up Mill Mountain at the end of your ride is optional. If you are feeling strong go ahead and climb up. If not, feel free to go back to go to the finish and enjoy some food and beverage. We will be there waiting either way! You don’t have to tell us if you will make the climb or not. We will have a volunteer at the decision point to help you pick which way to go.
The route options are:
Gran Fondo - a challenging "never flat" 100mi (or 94mi without Mill Mountain) ride with 9,400 ft (or 8,600ft) of climbing. The 1.6 mile gravel climb of Adney Gap and paved climb of Wades Gap are mandatory.
Medio Fondo - a difficult 71mi (or 65mi) ride with 7,000 ft (or 6,100ft) of climbing. The ascent of Wades Gap is the main feature.
Piccolo Fondo - A scenic 21mi (or 15mi) ride with 2,000ft (or 1,400ft) of climbing.
Is it a difficult course? The race director says yes, it’s a difficult course. On average all of the courses climb ~1,000ft per 10 miles. The road is basically never flat. Remember, if this was easy, it wouldn’t be worth doing.
- Chip timing: 3 segments on Gran Fondo, 2 on Medio, and 1 on Piccolo (if you ascend Mill Mountain!)
- Complimentary food and drink at the finish line
- Fully stocked aid stations with water, energy drinks, granola bars, PBJs, bananas, cookies, and lots more! (Sorry, no aid station on the Piccolo route, see us at the finish for food and drink)
- Police escorted departure from City of Roanoke (only for 8:00am start time)
- A well-marked route: We will use RouteArrows again this year to mark the course.
- Premium finisher's award
- 10-year age bracket KOM/QOM competition for Gran Fondo riders (<20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-50, and 50+)
- Technical support the morning of the ride (for last minute tune-ups/repairs)
- Free on-site parking
Registration prior to June 19: Gran Fondo $70, Medio $60 and Piccolo $35.